Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Four Hours in Glasgow - Part 2

The magazine stand opened and I joined the stampede inside to buy a Coke for breakfast and some water just in case. I spent Ben’s Change. While I was in line for the cashier, the arrival my train to Glasgow was announced so I picked up my bag and made for my seat.

I shoved my bag under the seat and drank my breakfast. Suddenly the train was off. I was going to Glasgow.

I was facing the back of the train. I hate that. Things disappear before you can figure out what they are. The ride was a long, absent six hours. People got on and off. I wrote a bit, read even less, and slept not at all.

It had been sunny in London that morning. Well sunny for London, but as we left the clouds ganged up in layers. For hours I stared out the window watching the dull hazy scenery run away from me, reading about each town in the guide book as I passed it.

I had read earlier about the Lake District, how it had been an inspiration to the Romantic poets. I was excited to see it, even though I never really appreciated the Romantic poets. I wondered if I’d be able to tell when we passed it. Then suddenly the flat pastoral scenery broke into hills unlike any I had seen before. They were green and grooved a flowing.



The Lake District (photo from wikipedia)


I was mesmerized. Then just as suddenly the Lake District ran away form me the clouds returned and the land changed to scraggy grass and heather. I had crossed into Scotland.

2 comments:

Abigail A. Percy said...

I live in glasgow (and love it)..yet it never ceases to amaze me just how stunning scotland is...the city and the countryside. Glad to see someone writing about it-hope you liked the rest of it too :)

Ian Bonner said...

Well...uh...despite what the rest of the story may imply I now have fond memories of my short time in Glasgow. Any absence of enjoyment on my trip is purely do to my own neurosis at the time. I'd love to go back someday, preferably with a traveling companion so I'm not held prisoner by my own thoughts.