Saturday, February 25, 2006

Thrive - Part 3



INT. SOLOMON'S HOSPITAL ROOM - NIGHT

The chart on the bed reads "BUTLER-JANUS, SOLOMON TOBIAS"
Janus sits on Solomon's hospital bed, a cell phone to his ear. Solomon has emptied the bucket of all of the Legos.

JANUS: Janice Butler please.

During the pause, Solomon removes Legos from a small area of the floor and puts them back into the bucket. He curls up in the empty space.

JANICE: (on phone) Hello?
JANUS: It’s Bill. I’m at the hospital.
JANICE: Where in the hospital?
JANUS: In his room. They let me in.
JANICE: When?
JANUS: A few minutes ago.
JANICE: How is he?
JANUS: He hasn’t responded to me yet.
JANICE: You have to ask him direct question.
JANUS: I...I know that. I just wanted to watch him first.
JANICE: You should talk to him. He loves you.
JANUS: I just wanted to call you first.
JANICE: Don’t worry Bill, he won’t break.
JANUS: I wanted to let you know I was here, in case...so you would understand if he mentioned me or something.
JANICE: They would have told me. They keep a record.
JANUS: You’re right. I’m sorry. Sorry to bother you.
JANICE: No, it’s Ok. I understand. Don’t worry about him, just talk to him.
JANUS: I...I will. Thanks.

He hangs over and looks at the boy who is still curled up, his eyes are very wide open.

JANUS: Solomon?

No response.

JANUS: What are you making Solomon?
SOLOMON: The blocks fit together.
JANUS: That looks like a dog...Is that a dog?
SOLOMON: No. It’s blocks.
JANUS: Do you love me Solomon?

No comments: